Monday, 23 December 2013

The Wake II

As I said before, many beings speak at Dream's memorial but we read the words spoken only by:

Destiny, Desire, Despair and Delirium of the Endless;
the original comic book Sandman;
the goddess, Bast;
Dream's raven.

However, five female beings had spoken of Dream during the wake the night before:

Homer's muse, Calliope, disliked how Dream treated their son, Orpheus;

the two hundred and fifty year old Mad Hettie thought that Dream was "Never quite as hoity-toity as 'e made 'imself art to be, if you arsk me," and has never tried to spend even one of the rare coins that he gave her (Neil Gaiman, The Wake, New York, 1997, p. 50);

the fairy, Nuala, says, "If I had not loved him, he would not have died" (p. 51);

the fairy queen, Titania, will not share her memories of Dream;

an old witch says, "I swore I would never shed another tear for him," but the image contradicts her words (p. 61).

Quite a testimonial.

No comments:

Post a Comment