Saturday, 7 December 2013

A Gentle Introduction II

I thought that it was appropriate to conclude the previous post with the recognition of Death but there is more to say.

On p. 224, the old Jewish man recites the Shema because "My old man always said it guaranteed you a place in Heaven...", leaves his body and asks, "Now what?" to which Death, with her face half in shadow, replies, in the last panel, "Now's when you find out, Harry...";
on p. 225, Dream says, "My sister. When I was captured... ...it was not me they wanted. It was you."

Pause: I think that "It was you..." is the moment when we should have realized who she was. If it had been done that way, then Harry would have had to come after that.

On p. 226, a comedienne dies on stage after joking about the Batman who exists in their world although this page could equally be read on the assumption that he is fictitious;
p. 227 includes the graffiti, "No one gets out alive!" (see image) and some brilliant dialogue which has been reprinted on a T shirt -

Death: Mostly they aren't too keen to see me. They fear the sunless lands. But they enter your realm each night without fear.
Dream: And I am far more terrible than you, my sister.

On p. 228, she takes a baby who asks, "Is that all I get?";
on pp. 229-230, Dream reflects that death is as natural as birth, recalls a poem, "Death is before me today...like the home that a man longs to see, after years spent as a captive..." and feels darkness lift from his soul.

There are four more pages to round out the chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment